Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Humphrey Bogart... and other men who ruin lives.

Today at work, one of my coworkers told me he had had a dream about me last night (don't get excited.. not that kind of dream! pervs). Apparently in his dream, all of our coworkers were at a party and he had brought along a guy for the implicit reason of setting us up together. He explained that three different times in the dream he had tried to introduce me to this guy who was "absolutely perfect for me" and all three times, in true Princess fashion-- I simply said I was too busy watching TV to be bothered. Now, not only does this tell me that my coworker knows me WAY too well, but it also brings up a very interesting point... I tend to invest my time in fantastic fictional characters rather than in possible romantic realities.

I have always been that way. The issue for me has never been a lack of interest from the male species but simply a lack of interest for them -- at least the real ones, that is. In high school, while all of my friends were exploring the wonderful world of dating I was reading my way through Lord of the Rings, the Enderverse, and every John Green novel I could get my hands on - whilst simultaneously allowing myself to be absorbed into the on screen worlds found in Princess Bride, Star Wars, and classic movies like Casablanca; becoming so emotionally invested that these works of fiction could drive me to my knees in tears while the boys at school couldn't get me on my knees for anything. ;-) What can I say? I simply wasn't impressed.

Rick Blaine, Han Solo, Ronald Weasley, Malcolm Reynolds, Julian Delphinki, Samwise Gamgee, Lloyd Dobler, Ferris Bueller, John Bender, Dr. Henry Walton "Indiana" Jones, Jr., Westley the Farm Boy, The Hatter, Marty McFly, Edward Rochester, Connor Temple, Fitzwilliam Darcy, Percy Jackson, Kvothe Kingkiller, Sherlock Holmes, The Doctor, Jon Snow, Augustus Waters, Lysander, Lee Adama, Prince Cornelius, and so so so many more... All men who have captured my heart and taken me on adventures to see the farthest corners of the universe without ever once holding my hand -- simply put, how is a real man to compete?

Well, I do know one way... The man who will win my heart will be the one who doesn't try to pull me out of my delusional haze, but instead reaches a hand through the thick fog and holds mine as we walk together through the fictional lands that have kept me hopeful and alive every day of my life. Read to me, write to me, imagine with me. Then maybe, just maybe, he will make the list, too. <3

-MP

No comments:

Post a Comment