Sunday, July 28, 2013

Funny - es-ca-pe is spelled just like escape!


This morning I got into a bit of a quarrel with the birth-giver. Long story short: she's crazy, I'm entitled, and we're both hormonal -- it happens. Anywho, I got sick of quarantine and decided that instead of eating all of the chocolate I had stashed in my room (because of course my mini-fridge contains only chocolate and wine -- I'm a lady, don't you know!) that I would rope one of my friends into an adventure. He was hesitant at first but being the amazing, supportive, wonderful guy (in case he's reading ;-) you're the best! <3) that he is he agreed to submit himself to my will for the evening. Little did he know that "my will" was an hour and a half drive in traffic to the middle of a shady part of LA where there resides a magical land known only as "The Last Bookstore".

I had heard tell of this fantastic bookstore on the interweb but I abhor Los Angeles so vehemently that not even the siren call of a mystical shrine to literature could lure me into its pits on a good day. But this was far from a good day, and there - in the City of Angeles - I knew my only escape was waiting. So North we drove, and lost we got, and eventually we made our way into a spectacular building filled with books and art and people, just like me, getting their leather-bound fix.

My friend spent most of his time following me around and silently laughing as a smelled each cover and fondled each spine. I, however, practically pranced through the stacks all around me - refueling my soul, body, and mind. The downstairs alone was well worth the drive. We found ourselves in a large open room with bookshelves as far as the eye can see, an area for vinyl records, and a style of music I've never before heard drifting all around us. No shelf escaped my wandering eyes and just touching these pieces of literature brought me back closer and closer to a happy reality.

Then we wandered up the stairs -- into "The Labyrinth" -- and I don't care how cliche it sounds, it took my breath away. The first stretch (pictured above) was simply books of every color arranged in a rainbow. Like, why? Why not! I do believe I squealed when my eyes finally took it all in. We wandered for hours and I could have stayed for days but alas, reality beckoned and I was forced to tear myself off life support and head back home. 

As we were stuck in traffic my friend just kept asking why I didn't buy anything. I had no better answer than, I didn't need to. Just being in the environment, a place filled with nothing but books - so many lives and stories and adventures just waiting to be uncovered - was more than enough for me.

In the end, it was well worth 3 hours in the car and a trip to my least favorite city in the world for a few moments of rejuvenation in what is honestly the greatest bookstore I have ever had the pleasure of experiencing. If you have the means, I highly recommend getting yourself over there! <3

- MP

No comments:

Post a Comment